My Convolution Wrap-up, and Other News

I just finished posting my notes on Convolution 2013 under my Convention Notes.

In my last past, I’d given my first impressions of the convention, and I complained about some of the shenanigans that went on with registration.  I tried to state that the people running the convention made up for those shenanigans, but then I talked about the panels, and I think I might have given an impression that I wasn’t having a good time.

I had a very good time!  It was not perfect, but it was excellent.

I had a little bit of the blues throughout the weekend.  I wasn’t depressed or sad, but I kept feeling like I was on the edge of being depressed or sad.  I smiled and socialized, and I tried not to whine or suck the life out of any of the rooms I was in.  I think I did a good job, and I think people enjoyed me as much as I enjoyed them.

I did get tired more quickly than I normally do, and I wound up going to bed early both evenings.  That was too bad, because the Goblin Ball was really neat.  I loved the costumes, and the performances that I stayed for were really well done.  I wished that I had done something a little more on the costume front myself.  I had borrowed a jacket and a hat from Michael, but it would have been more fun to have gone all out like some of the other people had done.

I would have posted these notes sooner, but then I got really busy.

Mondays are always busy, and the Monday after the con was no different.  It was a very long, complete day.  Tuesday, I had to get up extremely early so I could get to work extremely early and get some work done before heading to Albuquerque.  I got there in the evening and went to dinner with the other guys that had traveled with me.  I foolishly had a beer, so when I got back to my room, I was just a little bit too tired and fuzzy to get more programming or writing finished.

Wednesday morning, I got up around 4, managed to get some last minute programming tweaks done, and then we were off to Sandia Labs around 8:30.  We worked all day.  There were some bugs in our system, and I worked through lunch to get those taken care off.  Then it was back to the airport for our trip home.  I got to my house around 11:30PM.

The Thursday was upon me, and I went in to work at 8:00, as usual.  I wound up working until 6:00PM, because there was some stuff I really wanted to get finished.

So, tonight was my first opportunity to get my notes and final thoughts on Convolution posted.  I wish I’d been able to post some other stuff sooner.  Someone had noticed my previous post and had linked to it, noting that not everyone enjoyed themselves at Convolution.  On the one hand, I hadn’t meant to give the impression that I had a bad time.  On the other, I’ve never had 170 hits on this blog in one day before.  So maybe I should complain more often?

3 thoughts on “My Convolution Wrap-up, and Other News

  1. I have to agree that registration was a bit frustrating. I’m glad that you were able to relax and have a good weekend despite being tired.

  2. Hi, Brian. I thought you looked great at the Ball. I kept looking for either a six-gun or a big wooden rosary. I know what you mean about wanting a costume like some of the others! The Jack Skellington in black Hamlet attire was my favorite.

Comments are closed.